Ringo Awards 2019 Dates Announced, Thanks to 2018 Sponsors!
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND – February 21, 2019 – The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill, and fun of comics. The awards return for their third year on Saturday, October 19, 2019 as part of the fan- and pro-favorite convention, The Baltimore Comic-Con.
Unlike other professional industry awards, the Ringo Awards include fan participation in the nomination process along with an esteemed jury of comics professionals.
More than 20 categories will be celebrated with top honors being given at an awards ceremony.
Thank You to our 2018 Sponsors
The Ringo Awards Committee would like to thank our 2018 sponsors and encourage you to take a look at what they have to offer:
- Abrams ComicArts (Becoming Andy Warhol, Best We Could Do, Fire Story, Kindred, Showtime at the Apollo, Undocumented)
- Action Lab Entertainment (The Consultant, Spencer & Locke)
- Archie Comic Publications (The Archies Vol. 1)
- BOOM! Studios (Mech Cadet Yu Vol. 1)
- Cards Comics & Collectibles (Fantastic Four #1 Mike Wieringo Variant)
- Dark Horse Comics (2 Sisters, Angel Catbird Vol. 1, Hellboy: Darkness Calls Vol. 8, Resident Alien Vol. 1)
- Diamond Comic Distributors (Ricanstruction: Reminiscing & Rebuilding Puerto Rico TPB, Funko Pop! Marvel Classic Luke Cage)
- Harper Collins (New Kid Sampler)
- IDW Publishing (Jem and the Holograms)
- Lion Forge (Upgrade Soul)
Scholastic (Mr. Wolf’s Class, Amulet #8: Supernova)
- Shire Mint Post (Authentic Fantasy Coins)
- TokyoPop (Finding Nemo)
- Valiant Entertainment (Shadowman Vol. 1)
If you would like to sponsor the Ringo Awards in 2019, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fan and Pro Nominations
Fan and pro-jury voting are tallied independently, and the combined nomination ballot is compiled by the Ringo Awards Committee. The top two fan choices become nominees, and the jury’s selections fill the remaining three slots for five total nominees per category. Ties may result in more than five nominees in a single category. Nominees will be listed on the ballot alphabetically. Nomination ballot voting will be open to the public (fans and pros) starting April 5, 2019 and will close June 20, 2019.
Updated Rule for Fan Favorites
In Fan-Only Favorites, we have updated our rules as follows: All winners of these categories will be selected by open voting. A winner in a given year’s Fan Favorite category is not eligible to be nominated in that category the following year. These categories include: Favorite Hero, Favorite Villain, Favorite New Series, Favorite New Talent, and Favorite Publisher.Fan and Pro Nomination Categories
* Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist)
* Best Writer
* Best Artist or Penciller
* Best Inker
* Best Letterer
* Best Colorist
* Best Cover Artist
* Best Series
* Best Single Issue or Story
* Best Original Graphic Novel
* Best Anthology
* Best Humor Comic
* Best Comic Strip or Panel
* Best Webcomic
* Best Non-fiction Comic Work
* Best Kids Comic or Graphic Novel
* Best Presentation in Design
Jury-Only Nomination (with four bonus perennial jurors)
* The Mike Wieringo Spirit Award
Fan-Only Favorite Categories
* Favorite Hero
* Favorite Villain
* Favorite New Series
* Favorite New Talent
* Favorite Publisher
Hero Initiative Award (selected by the Hero Initiative)
* The Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award
* The Dick Giordano Humanitarian Award
Publishers wishing to submit works for review by the Ringo Jurors can submit up to five submissions per “Fan and Pro Nomination” and “Jury-Only Nomination” category that they feel are worthy of consideration. To participate in this process, publishers are asked to have a single representative send an email to email@example.com for information on how to send in your submission.
About Mike Wieringo
Michael Lance “Mike” Wieringo was known to fans and friends as “Ringo”, which is how he signed his artwork. His comics artist graced the pages of DC Comics’ The Flash, Adventures of Superman, Batman, and Robin, Marvel Comics’ Fantastic Four, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man, and Rogue, and his co-creation Tellos. He passed away on August 12, 2007 at the young age of 44 from an apparent heart attack.
About the Ringo Awards
The Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards is an annual celebration of the creativity, skill and fun of comics. The Ringo Awards recognize outstanding achievements in over 20 categories, and are the only industry awards nominated by fans and pros alike, with final voting by the comic professional community. Launched in 2017, the awards ceremony is held annually at the Baltimore Comic-Con. Further details are available at www.ringoawards.com.