Into a World of Magick… w/ CARE LYNN MARSHALL
*picture taken from Tim’s coffee table
CARE LYNN MARSHALL
& her series of TALES FROM LEVANNALE’
*Selrahc, the Realm’s Lore Master (pronounced Sell-rock)
In this world magick is harder to come by, thus when it is discovered you must gather it up and hold it close. Such is the world of Levannale’ and the hallucinating prose of Care Lynn Marshall. Care Lynn Marshall, is a former long-time nanny, who has always enjoyed sharing her love of reading and storytelling with the children she helped raise. Inspired by a dream, she decided to begin writing young adult novels to share her stories with other children and adults as well. She is a member of The Center for Spiritual Living Greater Las Vegas, where she is active in their Global Heart ministry, supporting a school in Nairobi, Kenya, with a personal emphasis on getting school uniforms for all the students. When she isn’t busy writing, she spends her free time crafting, singing karaoke, riding her motorcycle and searching for odd and unique lava lamps to add to her extensive collection. It was my pleasure to meet with her and pick her brilliant mind for FirstComicsNews.
*Classy, sassy, and rides a motorcycle!
TELL US ABOUT YOU, WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THE WORLD OF WRITING?
– Never before did I think I would have been a writer. In the past I was even afraid of “blank cards” because I would have to come up with my own words to write inside. The story of The Lonely Phoenix pushed me past my fears of writing, and now I can think of nothing else but writing more of the story.
ARE YOU A FANGIRL? A NERD? BEEN TO ANY COMIC-CONS?
– I wouldn’t say I’m the biggest fan, but I grew up reading Stephen King, my first book of his I read when I was 8 years old was the Talisman. And I do LOVE the Harry Potter, Robert Jordan’s, Wheel of Time, and Tolkien’s Middle Earth series, just to name a few. Although I’ve never been to any Comic-cons, I have watched documentaries on t.v., if that counts. And, I did do a pretty awesome Cos-play as the Borg for a party once, resistance is futile.
*The Sun Phoenix. aka Phe
HOW AND WHEN DID YOU COME UP WITH THE CONCEPT OF “THE LONELY PHOENIX”?
-The long or the short version? The short version, I would say, it just came to me as a dream, day and night, I dreamed about it. The long version…I was listening to a presentation at the center I attend about the book Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert. The gist of the talk was on how the Universe has magic that we can access. While sitting in the sanctuary, I literally lifted my hands up to the ceiling and double dog dared the Universe to give me the “magic”. The next day, I could think of nothing else but this new and wonderful story about a Phoenix that was all alone in the world. It was like a movie playing non stop in my head.
WHAT ARE YOUR MOST INFLUENTIAL INSPIRATIONS?
-When I write, I see it happening in my head like a movie, so all the wonderful movies I saw growing up, and the ones I see today, are my inspiration. I want my books to be funny, sad, thrilling, emotion grabbing like the movies I love.
* Reppi, Selrahc’s pet familiar (pronounced rep-pee)
WHAT SHOULD WE KNOW ABOUT “LEVANNALE” IF WE WERE THINKING ABOUT VISITING IT?
– In Levannale’, Magick is real, and your imagination shapes the world around you. Levannale’s inhabitants are human and mythical; some old creatures we have all heard about in old lore, and some new beings we have never discovered until now.
HOW DID THE COLLABORATION WITH YOUR ARTIST, LARRY THOMPSON -COME ABOUT?
– It was suggested from a mutual friend of ours after she asked if I had drawn any of my characters that I was describing to her. She thought the story was so fantastic and really wanted to see my characters as I described them. Larry was able to take my vision of my characters and put them onto paper for everyone to see. I feel that being able to see the characters helps the reader get deeper into the story.
*Ronnoc, the portal jump master (pronounced Rown-Knock)
I UNDERSTAND YOU ARE WORKING ON BOOK 2 NOW, IS THIS A PREQUEL? SEQUEL? OR SOMETHING NEW ALTOGETHER?
– Definitely a sequel, the story continues. We will be delving deeper into Levannale, it’s inhabitants and the Magick within.
WHERE DO YOU SEE THE FUTURE OF THE SERIES GOING? IN FILM? OR ANIMATION?
– I think I first saw it as animation, but with CGI I feel it could easily be a film series as well.
*Zorb, the queens henchmen
WHAT ADVISE DO YOU HAVE FOR ASPIRING WRITERS LOOKING AT BREAKING IN?
– WRITE! Even if you don’t think you have all you need to accomplish your final goal, just start somewhere. I wrote my first draft of Levannale’ in a text document, in “diary style” format with no punctuation at all. My goal was to just get it down on paper. So write, it will all fall into place.
WHERE CAN FANS FOLLOW YOU FOR UPDATES ON THE ADVENTURES?
– Right now they can follow me on Facebook at Care Marshall Creative and on Instagram at care_marshall_creative.
*A side effect to reading her work, you end up SEXYhttps://www.firstcomicsnews.com/into-a-world-of-magick-w-care-lynn-marshall/https://www.firstcomicsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/TMI-with-TIM-600x257.pnghttps://www.firstcomicsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/TMI-with-TIM-150x64.pngColumnTMI with TIMAMWRITING,Books,CARE LYNN MARSHALL,fantasy,LEVANNALE
*picture taken from Tim's coffee table CARE LYNN MARSHALL & her series of TALES FROM LEVANNALE' *Selrahc, the Realm's Lore Master (pronounced Sell-rock) In this world magick is harder to come by, thus when it is discovered you must gather it up and hold it close. Such is the world of Levannale' and...Tim ChizmarTim.Chizmar@firstcomicsnews.comAuthor2-time Amazon bestselling Writer, Award-winning Speaker, panelist of many Comic-Cons, GHOST RIDER enthusiast & cat dad. ******* "I would especially read anything by Tim Chizmar, I go in that direction." - KEVIN SMITH, Writer/Director of Clerks, Tusk, etc. "Tim Chizmar reaches past the conventions of the commonplace and holds nothing back!" - CLIVE BARKER, the Writer/Director of Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions, Candyman.First Comics News