I Love Comics (Blah, Blah, Blah…)
NEW COMICS 4 THIS WEEK (09/16/20)
* All Comics will be rated on a scale from 1 to 10*
Amazing Spider-Man: The Sins Of Norman Osborn # 1 -I like how this companion piece to the current “Sins Rising” arc answers one big plot thread as to who was in that big vault-like prison in Ravencroft (**NO SPOILERS **. But it is a big one) and seeing Spidey wrestling with his conscience as it pertains to rescuing Osborn as the disdain between the two of them is more intense than ever and it’s great to see Nick Spencer showcase that all with Sin Easter lurking in the background and for anyone who’s enjoying the title’s current arc then you will enjoy this special.
Batman # 99 – Just when the past few installments of “Joker War” couldn’t be any more exciting, this issue comes along and is good in terms of telling a great story; From the assembling of the Bat-Family to Batman giving Dick Grayson his Nightwing costume (A very touching moment) to seeing Batman ready to face The Joker made this issue exciting and I know that # 100 will be a nonstop roller coaster ride compared to the previous issues from this arc.
– “Blowback” by Peter J. Tomasi, Brad Walker & Andrew Hennessy which sees Batman in a watery trap all while looking back at his rogue’s gallery; Great story by Tomasi and it shows what a magnificent writer he is and showcasing all the weird and interesting villains that Batman has faced over the years.
– “ The Master Class” by Brian Michael Bendis & David Marquez shows the Bat-Family coming together to solve the murder of a crooked cop. Now, this is the type of story that Bendis exceeds in because any time you give him a story featuring street-level characters is when he truly shines and Marquez’s artwork is a bonafide hit as always.
– “Many Happy Returns” by Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky shows us the whole “cat and mouse” game between Batman and The Joker. First off, it’s awesome that Fraction’s writing a Batman story and he did not disappoint and Zdarsky’s artwork is stunning, showing us that the two of them should work on a Batman project in the near future.
– “Detective # 26” by Grant Morrison & Chris Burnham tells the story of The Silver Ghost, Gotham’s first hero before a certain caped crusader showed up and while his Green Lantern run is all out disappointing, It’s great to see that Morrison can still deliver a good Batman story.
– “As Always” by Scott Snyder & Ivan Reis shows ya the working relationship between Batman and Commissioner Gordon all while showcasing his time fighting alongside The Justice League. Another home run from Snyder as he is, without a shadow of a doubt one of the great Batman writers out there today (Sorry, Tom King), and Ivan Reis’ artwork is always a thrill to look at.
So even though some of the stories here were okay (John Romita Jr. STILL can’t draw a decent Batman); this special issue of Detective is another shining example of what a wonderful hero Batman truly is.
Immortal Hulk # 0- With an amazing wraparound sequence by Al Ewing & Mattia De lulls, this zero issue reprints Incredible Hulk # 312 & the -1 issue that showcases Bruce Banner’s difficult relationship with his father, Brian Banner and this is a must-have for any Hulk fan mainly because of how great Bill Mantlo and Peter David are when it comes to getting into The Hulk’s mind to tell such compelling stories and Ewing’s got more in store for the Hulk himself so this title continues to be a massive hit.
Iron Man # 1 – This was a wonderful way to reintroduce Tony Stark to loyal Marvel readers as I feel like Christopher Cantwell & CAFU did a sensational job of giving us a Tony Stark that’s finding his way in the modern digital era world and I just LOVE the new Iron Man armor design by Alex Ross. After the hi-tech craziness from Dan Slott’s run, I cannot wait to see what Cantwell and CAFU have in store for us next.
Welp, that’s it for me. Thanks for sticking around and I will see you all next week.
NEW COMICS 4 THIS WEEK (09/16/20) * All Comics will be rated on a scale from 1 to 10* Amazing Spider-Man: The Sins Of Norman Osborn # 1 Batman # 99 Detective Comics # 1027 Excalibur # 12 Immortal Hulk # 0 Immortal Hulk # 37 Iron Man # 1 Justice...Francis Garbutfrancis.email@example.comAuthorI Love Comics (Blah, Blah, Blah…)First Comics News