“BELIEVE IN WONDER” CAMPAIGN KICKS OFF WONDER WOMAN’S 80TH ANNIVERSARY GLOBAL CELEBRATION
DC, Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences and WarnerMedia LAUNCH “BELIEVE IN WONDER” CAMPAIGN TO KICK OFF WONDER WOMAN’S 80TH ANNIVERSARY GLOBAL CELEBRATION
Worldwide Events Include Fan Favorite Digital Content, Expansive Publishing Releases, Unveiling of New Fashion Collaborations with Award-Winning Designers, Must-See Exhibits, and Amazing Experiences Inspired by the Iconic Super Hero.
Available Today, DC UNIVERSE INFINITE unlocks exclusive and free Access
To The First Comic Headlined By Wonder Woman
Iconic Wonder Woman television “spin” remixed with Gal Gadot and Lynda Carter
BURBANK, CA, March 8, 2021 — DC, Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences and WarnerMedia are bringing the “Wonder” to International Women’s Day by launching a global celebration that honors the 80-year legacy of DC’s Champion of Truth and Warrior for Peace — Wonder Woman. Embracing the call to see the world through Wonder Woman’s eyes and to “Believe in Wonder,” the 80th Anniversary celebration illuminates the Super Hero’s timeless and relevant message of hope and empowerment with original content, commemorative comics, books, and global fashion collections and experiences. This multi-month campaign will culminate with a worldwide celebration of Wonder Woman Day on October 21.
Wonder Woman’s 80th Anniversary celebration features content, comics, books, fashion and much more:
- The iconic, fan favorite Wonder Woman television titles are reborn with the new “retro-remix” video, tapping into the nostalgia of Wonder Woman and featuring Gal Gadot doing the signature spin that Lynda Carter made famous in the original series.
On Sunday, March 7 talent kicked off the celebration via their social channels:
- Lynda Carter – Instagram
- Gal Gadot – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- DC and WarnerMedia announce a power-packed video inspired by Wonder Woman showcasing the impact of women around the world and the powerful women connected in the Company’s content and products. This year, WarnerMedia will produce videos that shine a spotlight on 80 “Women of Wonder” including real women, network journalists and talent, cultural figures, experts, influencers and celebrities who – like Wonder Woman herself – are advancing representation in their fields, acting as real-life superheroes and giving us reasons to “Believe in Wonder.”
- World renowned designers Venus Williams, Camilla, and Azede Jean-Pierre collaborated with Warner Bros. Consumer Products on Wonder Woman inspired fashion collections. EleVen’s “I Am Wonder Woman” activewear line by international tennis champion and entrepreneur Venus Williams is available now. Also available, is a luxurious limited-edition collection from Australian designer Camilla, and later this month award-winning designer Azede Jean-Pierre will reveal a custom collection featuring never-before-seen artwork.
- Beginning today, DC honors the creation and legacy of Wonder Woman making All-Star Comics #8 (the first appearance of Wonder Woman), Sensation Comics #1 (the first comic headlined by Wonder Woman), and Wonder Woman #1 (1942) free to read on the ultimate fan destination for DC: DC UNIVERSE INFINITE.
- Also announced today, Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Spectacular will bring together some of the greatest storytellers in comics and entertainment for a tribute to Wonder Woman in a collectible keepsake. Available this October on Wonder Woman Day, fans can look forward to original stories and a beautiful art montage by Eisner Award-winning artist Yanick Paquette (Wonder Woman: Earth One) with colors by Nathan Fairbairn.
- The hit movie Wonder Woman 1984 starring Gal Gadot releases in Digital HD on March 16 in the U.S., and then on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD on March 30. In addition, the animated feature Justice Society: World War II will be available on Digital on April 27 and on 4K and Blu-ray on May 11. Throughout March, Wonder Woman 1984 will also release digitally across international territories and will be available on participating digital platforms.
- DC is debuting custom art that pays tribute to Wonder Woman’s legacy while looking ahead toward her future. The pop art design was created by INNOCEAN USA, which also designed the 80th anniversary logo, and drew its inspiration from the iconic cover of Wonder Woman #4 (2016) by artist Nicola Scott.
Additional content and experiences honoring the power of women and our own Wonder Woman:
- DC celebrates Wonder Woman’s 80th Anniversary with an assortment of comic books and original graphic novels for any fan of the amazing Amazon:
- Nubia: Real One – Available now, this young adult graphic novel celebrates the heroism of Wonder Woman in a reimagining of the story of her twin sister, Nubia. Originally created for the comics in 1973 (Wonder Woman #204), this YA version, written by celebrated author L.L. McKinney features art by Robyn Smith and takes readers on Nubia’s heroic journey against the backdrop of modern-day racism and inequality.
- Wonderful Women of History – Available September 28, 2021, this young adult graphic novel continues DC’s rich legacy of celebrating inspirational figures throughout history and hearkens back to the original “Wonder Woman of History” feature series that ran in the back of issues of Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman from 1942-1954. Presented in a graphic novel style, the anthology profiles women from all walks of life who are inspiring young readers today to be the leaders of tomorrow who learn, build and dream.
- Sensational Wonder Woman Vol. 1 – Available in comic book stores, book retailers and on digital platforms on October 5, this book collects the first six issues of an anthology of self-contained Wonder Woman stories from some of the industry’s most popular writers and artists.
- Wonder Woman Earth One Vol. 3 – Available at comic book stores, book stores and on participating digital platforms, Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 3 is the epic conclusion to the New York Times bestselling original graphic novel series from the acclaimed team of writer Grant Morrison and artist Yanick Paquette.
- DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: New Wonder Woman selections will be made available to read for free each month along with curated collections celebrating essential stories through the decades. And keep an eye on the DC Community Book Club for some upcoming Wonder Woman offerings and epic conversations with fellow fans!
- DC Shop: Get your exclusive ‘Believe in Wonder’ Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary T-shirt here.
- Digital Stories: Fans of all ages can enjoy listening to four brand new You Choose Wonder Woman Stories from Capstone available via Google Assistant here today! Google users can also say “Hey Google, talk to Wonder Woman Stories” or “Talk to You Choose Wonder Woman Stories” to pull it up on their device. Additionally, Serial Box will release their Wonder Woman: Heartless serialized story exclusively via the Serial Box app. That story is available for pre-order now and will be released on March 25.
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will offer the feature film Wonder Woman 1984 on Digital HD on March 16 in the U.S., and then on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD on March 30. In addition, the animated feature Justice Society: World War II will be available on Digital on April 27 and on 4K and Blu-ray on May 11. Throughout March, Wonder Woman 1984 will also release digitally across international territories.
- HBO Max: Wonder Woman (2017) starring Gal Gadot and every episode of the Wonder Woman television series starring Lynda Carter are available this month on HBO Max.
- Warner Bros. Games will recognize Wonder Woman’s anniversary all year long via special promotions and activations in its popular ongoing game titles like DC Universe Online, Injustice 2, and DC Legends. Additionally, Nintendo will join the celebration on June 4, 2021 when it releases DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power, a brand-new title for the Nintendo Switch system starring Wonder Woman in a lead role alongside Batgirl and Supergirl as they try to protect Metropolis from a fearsome group of foes.
- DC Wonder Woman Virtual Run (5K or 10K) from Rugged Races in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products will return for a second year after record-breaking participation in 2020. Families and individuals will find that the virtual run is a great way to get moving and bring some of Wonder Woman’s unconquerable warrior spirit into their lives. Runs open for registration in July. More information is available at dcwonderwomanrun.com.
- International Activities:
- Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi is set to host Women of Warner. Taking place on March 8 from 6 pm to 10 pm, guests are in for a spectacular celebration of International Women’s Day. Warner Bros. World will introduce the ‘Wonder Woman Exhibit’ in Treasures of Hollywood at the Warner Bros. Plaza. Running until May 18, the ‘Wonder Woman Exhibit’ will feature the Wonder Woman costume as worn by Gal Gadot and Steve Trevor’s costume as worn by Chris Pine, among many other original items from the Warner Bros. Pictures film, Wonder Woman.
- Warner Bros. Mexico recently launched an exclusive new Wonder Woman 80th-branded collection in C&A stores, featuring fashionable apparel for the entire family.
- Warner Bros. UK will have Wonder Woman 1984 available to own digitally on 8th March and available for purchase on 4K, Blu-ray, DVD from 22nd March.
The History of Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman first appeared in All Star Comics #8 on October 21,1941 in a back-up story meant to test her appeal at a time when female Super Heroes were rare. An instant favorite, Wonder Woman was soon headlining her own standalone title less than a year later. Subsequent generations came to know the Amazonian princess with silver bracelets on her wrists and a magic lasso by her waist via her hit 1970’s television series as well as roles in animated shows and movies. The groundbreaking 2017 film Wonder Woman by director Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot was the largest grossing live action film ever for a female director at the time of release. The sequel, Wonder Woman 1984 premiered on HBOMax and in theaters globally December 25, 2020. Warner Bros. Pictures confirmed the third Wonder Woman movie starring Gadot will also be written by Jenkins.
Fans can join in on social media using hashtags #WonderWoman80 and #BelieveInWonder. Visit wonderwoman80.com for the latest news and updates.
The History of Wonder Woman
Created by William Moulton Marston, a psychologist who was a pioneer in the area of lie-detection, Wonder Woman was conceived as a new type of Super Hero who used wisdom and compassion, not just her fists, to triumph over evil. Born and raised on Themyscira, Diana is the immortal daughter of the Amazonian Queen Hippolyta. After training to be the ultimate warrior, she chooses to leave her paradise island home and join the world of mortals, where she becomes a champion for justice and equality as Wonder Woman. She was imbued by the gods with powers including super-strength and gifted with a lasso that compels anyone bound by it to tell the truth. Wonder Woman is the only female comic book character to have her own stories continuously published for the past three-plus quarters of a century.